Monday, July 21 2008
Coaltion forms to promote Marriage rights for all
7:00 PM to 8:30 PM
Pilgrim United Church of Christ 2020 Chestnut Ave -Carlsbad CA 92008
2020 Chestnut Ave
Carlsbad , CA 92008
A North County coalition has formed to oppose Prop 8 on Novemberís ballot. As you know, Prop 8 would amend the California Constitution to allow discrimination against same-gender marriages. Called No on 8 - Marriage Rights for All, the coalition consists of two churches so far, the North County LGBT Coalition, North County Forum, Progressive Post, and several individuals.
At our first meeting we discussed:
- Call ourselves No on 8 - Marriage Rights for All
- using the term "same gender marriage" instead of "same sex", so people don't focus on sex. It's about loving family relationships, not sex.
- using the term "Marriage Control Act" instead of "Marriage Protection Act".
- approach this as a civil rights issue, like the Cal Supreme Court did.
- draft a flyer to use in going to public events and places
- establish a speaker's bureau, get speaking gigs, participate in educational events, make our meetings public, write letters to the editor, etc.
Got some ideas to promote Marriage for All ?
The next meeting will take place on Monday, July 21, 2008, 7pm at Pilgrim United Church of Christ, 2020 Chestnut Ave, Carlsbad. Bring your ideas and join us in this vital civil rights action.
For more information contact Elva Volllbrecht at Elva and Clarke , or call 758-2410 or visit this website.