The ProgressivePost strongly endorses Dick Eiden
The ProgressivePost is supporting Dick Eiden, Independent, for Congress in the 49th Congressional District race. Our reasons for this are very clear:
(1) - Not in our living memory has a candidate with Dick Eiden's progressive and humanitarian values run for this office. Over the decades this district has grown into one of the most beautiful, desirable and prosperous areas of California, all the while poorly represented in Congress by men of less than ethical and democratic principles. Dick Eiden has a long history of high morals, ethics and dedication to the democratic principles which make are mandatory for enlightened, progressive leadership.
(2) - Dick Eiden is "a nice man", who is at all times civil, polite and respectful of other people. He is congenial and is a warm "people person". He smiles a lot. Yet he is a tenacious and resolute fighter for the common man and woman. He is a strong contrast to the uncivil, contentious and litigious character of the current officeholder, Darrell Issa.
(3) - Dick Eiden is an Independent. This places him in the popular swell of Americans who are fed up with the bitter partisan fighting that has seized Washington politics, rendering government unable to reach solutions to economic problems that are the greatest since the Great Depression 80 years ago. Darrell Issa, on the other hand, is a major combatant in the politics of obstructionism.
(4) - Dick Eiden is a believer in the dignity and innate value of every human being. A strong defender of civil rights, he has always led battles for equal rights and justice under the law, and when the law has been unjust, has sought to correct the law. His career in law has always been that of the friend and defender of the victims of injustice and abuse. http://eiden4congress.net/about-additional.html He has always been ahead of the curve in the fight for equal rights, and supported equal rights for gays and lesbians before most in this community even understood they were entitled to equal rights under the Constitution. Dick has stood at the doors of Planned Parenthood clinics and protected women as they entered. Now we need him in Congress to protect Planned Parenthood as a lawmaker.
(5) - Dick Eiden has the professional qualifications and experience necessary to serve the people of this district effectively.
One always has to ask why a person wants to hold political office, and we like and trust Dick Eiden when he said the following:
Statement by Dick Eiden:
"My reason for running for Congress is the upsurge of people who have lost faith in the corrupt, two-party system that seems to work well for the top 1%, but not so much for the bottom 99%. This system offers only more of the same, politics as usual, crisis after crisis, war after war, finger-pointing, name-calling, gridlock. I am a qualified candidate who is committed to speaking for the 99% as their Congressman."